Views from Windows



Tonight, I went to see a friend's new apartment in Brooklyn Heights. It's a beautiful apartment; she and her husband have a view of lower Manhattan from their kitchen window. I took home an armload of empty boxes in preparation for my own upcoming move. They're moving forward in their New York life; I'm moving on. The view from my own future apartment windows is imprinted on my mind; when I imagine it I almost feel like I'm in Barcelona, looking out at the night sky striped with the spotlights from the Palau National, listening to the music that thunders into our bedroom from the Font Magica, feeling the cross-breeze rush through from one end of our apartment to the other. It is a quiet, peaceful scene. Here, with six weeks to go before I leave New York, with my Park Slope apartment very much un-packed-up, it seems very far away.

Comments