Two Bits

Bit #1

Greta dramatically rejected dinner this past weekend. Andrew made reubens and declared the girls, too, would eat reubens, ignoring the obvious outcome, which would be that they'd hate the rye bread, coleslaw, and thousand island dressing, not to mention the pastrami. Lucia, surprisingly, nibbled at her sandwich with only moderate complaints. Greta, however, vehemently HATED the sandwich, and she loudly listed all the things she hated about it, including the "rice bread" and "ham sauce." "I HATE THIS RICE BREAD. I HATE THE HAM SAUCE." We've never referred to thousand island dressing as ham sauce but will likely do so from now on.

Bit #2

Is there anything worse than your kid getting off the bus and melting into a sobbing heap as soon as she sees you? Lucia got off the bus yesterday and dissolved into hysterical crying at the bus stop, struggling to explain that her two tiny beloved furry Hatchimal Colleggtibles, which she took to school in a baggie, had disappeared. She had them on the bus in the morning but at the end of the day they were gone from her backpack. She was inconsolable. So were Andrew and I, who of course knew we'd have to replace them, and these particular Hatchimals are "ultra rare" and would have to be purchased at great cost from eBay. We told her not to worry, that she could look for them at school the next day, secretly certain they were gone forever. Still, I emailed her teacher, letting her know that if she found a baggie of two tiny plastic animals, they were Lucia's.

And, lo and behold, her teacher texted me early this morning--she'd found them, on the secretary's desk in the main office. This is a pretty big school, so happening upon them this way is pretty crazy. So yay. Happy ending to this story. Also happy is the pride I feel for not immediately screaming at the bus stop yesterday I TOLD YOU NOT TO BRING THEM TO SCHOOL! I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU!!!!!!


Comments