Back to School

Another school year is underway, and, like last year, we're so grateful to have landed here, at such an amazing school. Greta's in fourth grade, with a fantastic teacher; Lucia's in sixth grade, her first year in the Middle School. She has a lot more independence, a lot more time to manager herself, and a lot of choices in the classes she takes. She had to choose electives this week, ranking 13 choices for each of three days; I can't wait to see which three she gets. 

Lucia's doing cross-country this trimester, which lacks the organization and transparency of the rest of the school; I had to put Andrew in charge of trying to get information. Lucia was not a fan of the practices that took place during the super-hot days this week, but she did much better yesterday and today when she got to run in rain/cooler temps. Greta's going to do cross-country too. Though I myself loathe running, I would like the girls to love it. We'll see how they fare. Perhaps cross-country will be their ticket to top colleges.*

It's pretty nice having the school day to myself again, though the day is bookended by the hectic morning of get-out-the-door hoopla and the after-school juggling act of multiple pickups and activity scheduling and dinner. And soon there will be homework and piano practicing to add in. But those hours in between--glorious.


*The last two books I read this summer were Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz and Early Decision by Lacy Crawford, both novels set against a backdrop of the stressful, elite college admission process. They've stuck with me. 

Comments