Thursday, July 23: Cape May

My favorite day of our beach week is always Tuesday, when the whole week still stretches ahead. Thursday is the end, really. I am not ready for our time in Cape May to be over.

We made the absolute most of the day. I didn't go bike riding in the morning, instead choosing to sit on the porch with Molly to punch-needle at 6:30am. Molly and Mom have achieved near-mastery; I'm making my way, improving my technique. (No one else is interested in this BeachKraft, to their detriment.)

We'd decided to spend today at Cove Beach. Around 9:30am, Jeremy drove me, Andrew, and Molly down to the beach with all of our canopies and chairs to get set up. He and Molly then ran home, while I "stayed with the stuff" (ie, got settled with my book) and Andrew went for a run. Everyone else joined via golf cart around 11, even Greta, who was able to finish her geometry and rode her bike down. It was a beautiful beach day. Cove Beach is my favorite. I finally took a nice swim and managed to not get pummeled by any waves. Molly and Lucia both got stung by jellyfish (or at least their tentacles, wrapping around their legs; shudder). 

We left the beach around 3:30pm, distributed among the car, golf cart, and bike. 

For dinner, Andrew and I went to pick up fried clams and other selections from the Lobster House, always delicious. Sadly, they left out Luca's dinner from our pickup order so we had to go back to retrieve it; good thing it's close. I thought we'd found a better strategy by calling in our order instead of waiting in the ordering line, but this was clearly a mistake (though easily rectified so we could enjoy our dinner after a little detour).

We took the golf cart and bikes into town after dinner for ice cream, some of us splitting off to get ice cream sandwiches from Peace Pie and others going to Kohr's. Greta bought a pair of Cape May sweatpants (I forgot to note that Lucia bought herself a pair of Cape May loungey pants last night), and Molly, Luca, and I bought Cape May sweatshirts. 

We squeezed in a couple rounds of Code Names to complete the day. The days seems so gloriously long here. How can the week seem so short?

(Photo from Wednesday sunset at Cove Beach)



Comments