The Chutney


So I actually did make loquat chutney last week, and it turned out splendidly. I found the recipe on a random person’s blog, and it was delicious—a perfect blend of loquats (which are sort of apricot-like), dried apricots, ginger, apples, mustard seed, cider vinegar, onion, sugar, salt, water, and chile pepper. The extremely vinegary mixture was tamed by over an hour of simmering, and the result is a perfect condiment that we’ve been enjoying with crackers and cheese.


It’s so good that we might do a bigger loquat harvest and do some canning. “How can we make sure we have enough of this to last us a year?” Andrew asked after a first taste. We’ve never canned before, but maybe this summer we’ll try our hand at the chutney and some jam. We’ll see.

I had to take a picture of the figs we bought at the farmer’s market on Saturday. Soon we’ll have figs of our own, but I was too impatient to wait for them to ripen. I bought a basket to tide me over.

Comments

Michelle said…
i wonder how it would hold up to freezing?
Michelle said…
looks wonderful, btw:)