Goodbye to the MDPOE

We found out last week that the Extended Stay hotel chain has filed for bankruptcy. To that I say--not surprising. Goodbye and good riddance.

Longtime readers of "Skipping Town" will remember that Extended Stay America was one of the first places we stayed when we moved to California in 2007. It was so awful, and so depressing, that it nearly sent us packing back East, new job be damned. I was stuck there all day for several days while Andrew was at work, and I can honestly say that had I been forced to stay there any longer, I may have gone off the deep end. I christened it the MDPOE--the Most Depressing Place on Earth. While there, I had one of the most violent and scary dreams I've ever had. There's just something ominous about the place--as soon as you walk in you feel something bad is going to happen.

A few months later, we inadvertantly stayed there overnight again thanks to an unwise Priceline bid. Our room had one fork. (These are supposed to be "efficiency apartments"--sharing a fork doesn't seem that efficient to me.) Nate, in town to look for a home for his soon-to-move-West family, was there as well; he said his room featured what looked like a blood stain on the carpet.

So bankruptcy? Bring it on. I still have to pass the MDPOE when I drive Andrew to work, and I'd be happy to see the whole thing razed.

Comments