Gabe’s II

Another Gabe’s, another haul of maternity and baby clothes. Total bill: $27. Total items: five maternity shirts, a sports bra (size XL!!!), and a staggeringly cute baby dress that will make our baby look like she should be in New Hampshire in the 1800s. Mom purchased an adorable baby outfit as well, an economical instance ($4) of grandparently splurging.

At the beginning of my pregnancy, I vowed that I was going to try to spend minimal money on maternity clothes, borrowing or adapting whatever I could. Well, I did borrow (thanks Beth and Michelle). I had a nice parental maternity-clothes shopping trip in California (thanks Mom and Dad). And for a while, I did adapt, wearing my roomiest, elastic-waisted things. The adapting days are over. The bump is simply too large to accommodate anything but true maternity waistbands. My old tops reach only to about mid-navel, if they fit over my chest at all. Most of my skirts won’t go over my hips. And I have three months to go—I certainly can’t be wearing the same things all the time. Now, however, I think I’m set. I ordered a black maternity skirt from Old Navy.com last night and I think I’m set. I may have to get another pair of jeans but really I think I’m set. My Birkenstocks could use replacing, but really I think I’m set.

Before this month, it had literally been a year or more since I’d bought myself any significant new clothes. Having a radically new body has changed this. Thank goodness for Gabe’s.

Comments