News Avoidance

I’ve been having a hard time watching and reading the news these days—it’s just too upsetting. And it’s too hot here to be upset. “Birthers”? Resistance to healthcare reform? It’s too much, too ridiculous. How could anyone be opposed to healthcare reform? It boggles the mind. Andrew and I have outstanding health insurance, and, if there is reform, I wouldn’t necessarily want our coverage to change at all. But we’re lucky. Lots of people aren’t. I’m on board with any reform that means no one has to face financial ruin because of unexpected emergencies, sick people don’t have to ration their prescriptions, people with pre-existing conditions aren’t cast off by insurance companies, and no one has to worry about whether they can afford to see a doctor when they suspect something is seriously wrong.

Not to sound all flag-waving about it, but these things shouldn’t happen in this country. I hope by the time our baby is able to understand how lucky she is to get to see a doctor whenever she needs to such a “privilege” won’t be anything remarkable at all. I believe Obama will get it done, I really do. I’m constantly amazed by his laser-like focus, his ability to continue to function effectively when a bunch of crazies are screaming about his birth certificate. But it’s a lot of enraging news to deal with (or avoid in disgust) in the meantime.

Comments