Yoga in Unusual Places

Now that I’m living in a place with yoga studios on every block, there is no excuse not to get back into it. I was doing yoga about twice a week before getting pregnant, and I did prenatal yoga, but once Lucia was born, I barely made it out of the house for a mama-and-baby exercise class once a week. I hope this will change now that we’re back in New York.

Last night, I went to a free yoga class held at sunset on a plaza right on the Hudson, part of a summer program at Riverside Park. (Andrew met me there on his way home from work, and we did a stroller hand-off.) As over a hundred of us did our downward-facing dogs and cobras and trees and were encouraged by the instructor to give thanks to Father Sky and Mother Earth, I could hear the rush of traffic on the West Side Highway, the lapping water of the river, the scattered conversations of people walking on the path. It was really fun.

I like doing yoga in unusual places, though I have but two experiences so far (three, counting last night’s): a private class with a Zen Buddhist monk on a rainy morning in Nikko, Japan; and a class on the marble labyrinth in the middle of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. But I’ve learned about several interesting free classes offered around the city this summer, and so I am determined that this list will grow.

Comments