First Day of School

Summer is over...but I'll try to keep up the regular posts. Do I say that every year? I might say that every year. But THIS TIME, I mean it.

The first day of school was last Thursday. Both girls did great. I walked Lucia to her new school (elementary school is split here, and Lucia's new school is grades 3-5), and got to go into her classroom with her for a few minutes. She has a couple of familiar friends in the class, which makes it easier. But it's a much bigger school and it's definitely strange to be the youngest one again, after leading the pack as a second-grader. She seemed happy, though, and didn't even notice when I left.

Andrew got Greta onto the bus to her school, then picked me up outside Lucia's school so we could meet the bus and go into Greta's classroom for a quick visit. She, too, did fine. It's old hat for her this year--she knows where to go, who the teachers are, etc. We're extra thrilled that she has the same teacher Lucia had for the past two years--feels comfortable already. In a big public school, we have a small-school feeling. I was less worried about her this year than Lucia. AND: no tears for anyone this year, specifically me, unless you count mild teariness at seeing all the kids streaming to Lucia's school. All the kids walk themselves to the school, in big crowds of kids walking down the streets, and it gave me a nice warm feeling of community to watch them. I don't always love suburbia, but this is pretty nice. Lucia's going to love walking herself to school, once I finally let her do it. (Not yet.)

The kids had school Thursday and Friday, and then a four-day weekend for the Jewish holidays. They were back to school today. So far, so good. And we're off.



Comments