"Should We Cancel the Full-Service Movers?" and Other Grave Mistakes I'll Never Make Again

 At some point, we have to just lock up the POD, get in the car, and go. These days leading up to our departure are frenzied and also, on some level, unnecessary; we're paying for full-service moving, which is a lovely thing in theory, but I'm way too much of a control freak to simply leave the house as-is and let the movers pack it all up. There are things I want to pack up myself, things I want to have with me in the car, things I don't trust anyone to handle with enough care. I also like my boxes to make sense, for easier unpacking. So it turns out I've managed to pack up almost everything except our dishware, linens, small appliances, most of the books, and holiday decorations (which, actually, are already packed in bins, so...). 

WARNING: This is the moment when there's a risk that I'll consider cancelling the full-service movers, because "I've packed almost everything already." Eight years ago, after doing a ton of packing, I did actually cancel our full-service movers, the day before our move, confident that there wasn't much left and that we'd be totally fine on our own. We weren't fine! It was a total disaster! There was so much more to pack. A wild amount to pack. At 11pm the night before the move, I was frantically packing up the bathroom (and believe me, I was in a STATE), and I dropped a bottle of red nail polish into the bathtub, where it shattered. Panicking about the prospect of losing our security deposit, I jumped into the tub with the pool of nail polish and tried to clean it up. Here's a funny thing: it is not easy to clean up an entire bottle of spilled nail polish. My parents were there that night, and my dad poured nail polish remover into the tub and we tried to mop it all up, and my feet and hands were coated in nail polish. It looked like a murder scene. I began laughing and crying, a hysterical shrieking laugh-sob, and the point of this story is that even though I've packed SO MANY BOXES, we are not cancelling the full-service movers. 

Also fun right now is that we've had a longstanding electrical issue with the lights in our garage, and Andrew--pure soul that he is--determined that we should have it fixed before we move out. So today, our landscapers showed up with a backhoe and dug a two-feet-deep trench across our backyard; tomorrow, an electrician will lay a new electrical line. The kids and Farrah loved the trench, of course. But I fear the yard is never going to be the same.

The kids are having a slumber party in Lucia's room tonight. I can barely stand upright and they are in the room singing loudly along to Cassidy Pope songs. (Ha ha ha obvs I did not know who the singer was. I just had to go in and ask the kids.)

What We're Reading

Ha ha JK who can read right now?




Comments