Summer: Sun. 8/2

It's August. We're in NJ. Back to usual routines, and by "routines" I mean "staying in our house all day." The kids are back to swimming all day in the inflatable pool. They're still playing with their American Girls. Today, their collections of Shopkins and Cutie Cars came out. I love all these revivals. I love the little setups they create: at mealtimes, the little Shopkins girls join us at the table, sitting at their own little tables with tiny Shopkins foods. Last night they had a slumber party in Lucia's room. And this morning I saw them both just lying in their beds, reading together.

I am LOATHE to give up these long free days. LOATHE. Of course I want a vaccine and an end to all this lockdown, fear-of-crowds madness. But there's so much of this lockdown that I...like. I like being home all day! We all do! We are not millions-of-activities people! I like Andrew home all day and never traveling for work. I like the kids home all day. All together, all the time. I know this drives--has driven, is driving--most people batshit crazy. Not me. There are many things I miss about real, non-pandemic life, but what's taken their place is this peaceful, happy parallel universe. 


Comments