Summer: Last Day of Summer

Tomorrow, the school year begins. There's the night-before-the-first-day-of-school feeling in the air. We have tried to make the most of summer; so many things remain undone.

Friday night, Greta went to a sleepover that began with a trip to Sandbox VR in the Strip and dinner at Shake Shack. Andrew went to a baseball game. Lucia and I went shopping at Target then picked up food from How Lee and watched Gilmore Girls.

Yesterday Lucia had XC practice and then a birthday party; I picked up Greta from the sleepover; I went to a tennis clinic. Later in the day Lucia worked on Algebra (her packet is due the first day of school) while Andrew, Greta, and I went to the pool. Andrew and a friend played pickleball; Greta and a friend swam; Beth and I floated in the pool and chatted. Then Andrew and the girls and I went to a BBQ at the home of some WT friends. It was a full and fun day. 

Today we went to the farmer's market and the grocery store, with the kids, who wanted to pick out some snacks and lunch items for the week. Then we went to the Strip for a stop at Posman Books and lunch at the Novo food hall. I'd promised Lucia a Unicorno as a reward for all the math she had to do this summer, and threw in a new book as well. (I bought Greta a Unicorno and book too, of course.) They each also bought one blind box item for themselves (Lucia bought another Unicorno; Greta bought a Smiski doing situps). 

I went for a run in the afternoon and became so overheated I could feel heat radiating from the sides of my face. My core temperature was dangerously high. It was much too hot for a run, especially a run packed with hills. I'm looking forward to running in the fall. Andrew and I went up to the pool for a cooling swim while the girls did school-prepartion things. 

And now--everyone is packed up, with first day outfits selected. Greta did a face mask; Lucia blew out her hair. They have checked their first day schedules. It's going to be a big change this year, being part of the Upper School. Lucia said she's not nervous at all, so I guess I'll be nervous for us both.


Comments