Monday, August 3: Re-Entry Summary
Our return from Cape May and re-entry into our crazy life did not go smoothly last week. Our return, from July 27 through July 31, was so busy and chaotic I didn't think we would get to the other side of it.
Monday: Greta had crew from 6-8am, requiring one of us to drive her to Verona at 5:30am and then sit in the Oakmont Bakery until pickup. One of us, meanwhile, drove Lucia to work. Then both of us went to work. Greta did geometry. One of us picked up Lucia. Andrew took Greta to math tutoring from 6-7pm. I had to lead a webinar for 400 grad students from 7:30-8:30pm.
Tuesday: Same. Crew, Lucia work, our work, geometry, then piano lessons from 6-7pm and then XC for Lucia until nearly 9pm. Did we eat dinner? That question will be answered later.
Wednesday: Crew, Lucia work, our work, geometry. Andrew had to wait at home for the gas company to come for a required gas meter update, which we'd put off so long we were notified that our gas was going to be turned off. Lucia had virtual tutoring from 5-6pm. She then got a ride to Bakery Square with a friend to go running. Then we all went to Bakery Square because Fleet Feet was having a "Gear Up" event for the XC team, open after hours so everyone could get fitted for shoes and spikes at once.
Thursday: Crew, Lucia work, our work, geometry. Then XC for Lucia. (Greta did not run this week because she rowed every day.)
Friday: Crew, Lucia work, our work, geometry. Andrew took Farrah to the groomer. In the evening Andrew and I went to see Nate Bargatze at PPG with friends.
Most days, I barely sat down except when I was at work, and that was not sitting to relax, just sitting to work. You'll notice "prepare and eat dinner" does not appear anywhere in this week's schedule. That's because it didn't happen. The best we could do was throw random things from the refrigerator onto the island at 9pm, which the kids would ignore in favor of microwaving some sort of frozen dumpling selection from Trader Joe's.
This sort of week is not really sustainable. Fortunately, as we now look ahead to a fresh week, I think things will be easier even though Andrew will be in California, simply because there is no crew and no work for Lucia. Those activities are over for the summer. Which means no one has to be driven anywhere, or picked up. I may even be motivated and able to cook dinner.
We did manage to relax over the weekend. Lucia was gone overnight Saturday to Sunday for a birthday party (her friend's dad rented a cabin in the Laurel Highlands and drove a vanful of girls there to watch scary movies, and yes I know that sounds like the plot of an actual horror movie). Andrew, Greta, and I went to the Anthropologie Outlet, where although we did not find the chairs we wanted we DID find thd doodle lamp I've been wanting forever. Andrew made pizzas outside on the Ooni, and on Sunday we made a new recipe from one of my cookbooks. Actual cooking!! Actual eating together as a family!!
Comments