Monday, August 17: Orientation Is Over

The past couple of weeks have been a blur of final preparations for graduate orientation, my office's biggest undertaking of the year. It is no easy feat organizing three days of events (35+) for almost a thousand grad students when the office consists of two people. This is my fourth orientation, and it has always been exhausting, but this year we added more events and it nearly did us in. I'm still recovering. And now I have to return forty black linens that I panic-ordered from Amazon when it looked like the catering team had dropped the ball on my massive linen order. Hassle upon hassle. But it's over.

Unlike last weekend, when I had to work every day on preparations, I had a nice relaxing weekend. Some pool time, some nice meals, actually seeing Andrew and the kids. 

On Saturday, Mom and Dad came in and we went to our favorite book sale of the year. It's a fill-a-bag for $15 sale, and we always find amazing things. We all filled a bag (or two). Then we went to a few yard sales. Best find: a skirt covered with rabbit faces. It is amazing. It was being sold by someone who'd gotten this particular brand of clothes wholesale and was clearly trying to unload some inventory. Greta and I both got one. Back at home, we all went around presenting the books we'd found. It's a favorte summer tradition. Then we had lunch.

Saturday night, Andrew went to a baseball game and I found myself in the attic with the kids, pulling out all of their old Beanie Boos and OG Jelly Cats. I love when they get into one of these moods of wanting to find specific things from their childhood. At one point all of my and Molly's Cabbage Patches (which live at my house) were spread out on my bed. 

Sunday, Lucia went thrifting with friends; Greta and a friend went to a flea market in Schenley; all four of us played Scrabble and watched The Martian. Greta and I also took Nutmeg to be groomed. I wore my new bunny skirt, which received exactly the reaction you'd expect from a roomful of bunfolk.

Now it's back to the week, but a regular week, not an insane week. 





Comments