Sunday, August 30: Quiet Weekend

It's very strange to be back into the school schedule. After so many weeks of the summer being away, or having the kids get home at 9pm from XC practice, or being overwhelmed with work chaos, the past week has felt--at least for me and Andrew--much calmer. Of course the kids are adjusting to new classes and routines. But everyone's home by 6pm, we've been eating dinner together, we've been cooking real food, and we've actually seen the kids for more than a second at a time.

Friday, 8/28, we had no plans after school/work. Unheard of. Lucia went shopping on Walnut Street with two friends, Greta came home to relax (she's somehow gotten a summer cold), and Andrew and I went to the pool for a while. Then the kids joined us at the pool so we could all have dinner together, and then we came home to watch Ted Lasso.

Saturday, the kids had XC practice in the morning at Frick. Andrew took a run and I went walking with a friend. After that, Andrew made crepes for lunch, and he and Lucia did some practice driving. Another trip to the pool for me and Andrew--this is just the best time to be there; the days have been so beautiful and we have the pool almost all to ourselves. Saturnay night was a Squirrel Hill Night Market, and the kids decided to walk down together (I got them to agree with the promise of $20 each for shopping). Andrew made cheese enchiladas, and we ate on the deck and chatted until the kids came home, excited about the things they'd bought. Against Greta's wishes (she says she feels better only when shopping), we played Enchanted Forest and Scrabble.

We had another good day on Sunday. Lucia had a driving lesson in the morning--her final one. Her instructor told us he approves of her taking the test at any time; she's ready. WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT. How long will it take for her to catch on that I'm filling every weekend day with non-cancelable activities, preventing us from scheduling her test? Just kidding. There really are things filling every single weekend until she's nineteen. There just isn't time for the test--she'll have to understand. Maybe I can put it off long enough for the flocks of Waymo cars scooting around Pittsburgh to become fully operational and reliable and then, maybe, we just forget about her driving altogether. Surely this plan will work? 

Andrew and I went to the farmer's market and did some food prep for the week. Then, at the kids' request, we all drove out to Bellevue to the Red, White, and Blue thrift store. Everyone was in a cheerful mood. We all sang along to 4 Non Blondes on the way. We all found fun things at the store, and then we went home. 

Andrew and I spent a little time at the pool--determined to make the most of these beautiful August days--and then Andrew made pizzas in our pizza oven for dinner. We ate on the deck. 

It was a pretty nice weekend. Lots of family time, lots of relaxation. I love fall--am ready for fall--but I'll miss all the outdoor time, too.

Comments