Mother's Day

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day. Last year, I was pregnant; but this year, there was a squirming, squealing baby greeting me in the morning, and I realized with a shock that's a bit absurd considering I'm with this baby all day, every day, that I'm her mother. Mother's Day belongs to me now.

Andrew and Lucia gave me a gift--a kit to create a paving stone with my and Lucia's handprint in the cement, which we made in the afternoon--and then went to get donuts, which we ate in bed. We spent the rest of the day relaxing around the house as I tried to wrap my mind around the fact that Lucia is not just a baby, but my baby.

Comments

bubbasmama said…
happy 1st mother's day indeed! i have to say that it hasn't gotten any less strange in three years or with the addition of ANOTHER baby of mine. it's still totally shocking that we have any kids at all, let alone TWO. but i'm happy to report it still also feels pretty beautiful and amazing all these years later as well.