A Long Week

It's been a long week. Andrew left for Mexico City on Monday morning, leaving the three of us facing a week by ourselves. Logically, I don't know why it makes so much difference when Andrew's away. Of course we all miss him, but logistically speaking, I have only a couple of hours per day by myself when I would have had his help. But those extra hours really do make a world of difference, because he's here for all the all-hands-on-deck stuff. Getting my contacts in in the mornings seems like an insurmountable challenge when I'm also trying to do all the kid-morning craziness. Forget about taking a shower. And bathtime and bedtime alone...Lots of women I know do bathtime/bedtime alone every single night. I'm spoiled, I guess, but four nights in a row is a killer.

It didn't help that Lucia has been in a three-and-a-half-year-old tailspin the past couple of weeks, throwing an uncharacteristic number of screaming fits and just generally being edgy and unpredictable. We had a few insane screaming moments this week, and my only comfort is that friends with three-and-a-half-year-olds also are currently having their heads spin off for similar reasons. Lucia is usually fun and funny and a joy to be around...except when she isn't. When she is good, she is very very good, etc.

We've had some fun this week despite the stress of being alone with a demanding one-and-a-half-year-old and a three-and-a-half-year-old. And despite the fact that for the first couple of days this week it STILL FELT LIKE WINTER. I made the girls a rainbow rice bin, which they loved (until the moment Lucia threw rice at my face and at Greta. Sigh.). We went to a couple of playgrounds. The girls fed ducks and chased each other in a big field at our nearby park; Lucia ran herself ragged trying to catch a butterfly.

And now I'm waiting for Andrew to return. He was supposed to be back hours ago, but his flight was delayed. I'm glad this week is finally coming to an end.

Comments