Letter to Lucia: 58 Months

Dear Lulu,

It's been an incredibly exciting month, a fun near-end to summer, and this past week you've been in camp at your new preschool. You have loved every second of it. You had a wobbly chin when I left on the first day, but you didn't cry, and the teacher said you were quiet for about ten minutes and then were fine. You've had so much fun--you're so excited to go each day, and when I pick you up, you're eager to return the next day. As usual, you won't give us too much information about what you did, but now and then you'll share a detail, like making trail mix (you were thrilled, and we've been making trail mix each day since).

This is all a big relief to me, because you loved your old school and friends. But we get to walk to school now, which is exciting; there is an outdoor playground; and everyone seems warm and kind. I'm really glad you got to do this camp, jus
t to get familiar with the school before the year actually begins, and I think I can finally stop my hand-wringing over whether you'll be scarred for life over the switch.

I took you to a play last week--a local kids' musical-theater camp's production, which one of our neighbors was in--and you were so excited. It's funny sometimes, realizing how much you're capable of, and I think we have to do a better job of taking you places and challenging you alone, without Greta--who, though we all of course love her, is definitely not quite at an almost-five-year-old level of attention and pliability.

You really like when I conspire with you behind Greta's back--that sounds terrible, I know, but sometimes it has to be done. Usually it deals with the toys you want to bring upstairs with you for Quiet Time. Whenever Greta sees you select something, she throws a huge fit and insists on taking part of it for herself, to put on her bureau for her naptime. She cannot be swayed, and it's frustrating for you when you have to give up, say, a handful of Playmobil animals when you want to play with them yourself while Greta naps. So you and I have a little routine now, where you'll pick out something for Quiet Time, Greta will make a grab at it, and I'll tell you both that it has to stay downstairs. Then I turn to you and give an exaggerated wink, which you return (hilariously); then I bring the toy upstairs once Greta is down for her nap.

Favorite toys/activities: My Little Ponies, coloring, the pool, the beach, hobby horse, wearing your mermaid tail

Favorite books: Goofy and the Magic Fish, The Penguin Who Hated the Cold, Twelve Dancing Princesses, Blueberries for Sal, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Orphan

Comments