Quarantine: Mon. 6/22 (Last Day of School)

Last official day of school. It feels so scattered that Lucia didn't even attend her final Google meet with her teacher; we didn't know about it and TBH it's felt like we've been done for a week. Sigh. Greta had a virtual clap-out since she's moving onto a new school next year (the next school building is grades 3-5). Then Greta and I went to a park near her school so she could say goodbye to her teachers and receive her belongings and her oldster medal, a tradition in the multiage class. It was sad saying goodbye. We've been with these teachers for four years since Lucia had them for multiage too. End of an era.

The kids spent the afternoon playing in the basement, helping me sort and prepare more things for sale, and swimming. Then there was a neighborhood clap-out for the kids moving on to new schools. Then there was the spring piano recital on Zoom. The girls did great.

It was an emotionally intense day. Besides all the end-of-school intensity, it's also hard for me to get rid of stuff, even if it's stuff that neither I nor the kids have any true attachment to. Still, these are things they played with happily in the past, and it's hard to let them go. But let go I must. I'm not forcing them or me to part with things. We're selling some, keeping some. Greta, who is EIGHT YEARS OLD, keeps selecting things to save as "a relic of my childhood."

My eyes are aching from both stress and crying.

I didn't even take last day of school pictures. I did take some of Greta outside her school this morning; maybe I'll take Lucia to her school and do the same thing tomorrow. I guess I should, even though the school year has kind of been ending in a slow fade for weeks. The kids left in mid-March and just--never went back. Sometimes the enormity of the weirdness of this time just hits hard.

For a few years now, I've blogged daily in the summer, titling those posts Summer because they represented days outside of the usual routine--long free days of doing our own thing at home, free and unencumbered. Quarantine isn't quite right anymore, but Summer seems not quite right either. I'm going to just have to take these days as they come. They're all just under a general umbrella heading of A STRANGE TIME, A VERY STRANGE TIME.






Comments