A Few Final Days

Thursday, August 18

I went out to lunch with Beth. The girls had their first piano lessons in a long while. Greta had a cross-country fun run to start the Lower School season. Then Andrew went to a baseball game with Nate.

Friday, August 19

I had a computer person come over to try to revamp my computer to make it run faster. Later, the four of us went to the club to swim and have dinner. The girls ate with a big group of their friends. Andrew and I had mozzarella sticks and fries and gin & tonics before our actual dinner--perfection.

Saturday, August 20

Today was the Prestia family reunion at cousins' beautiful house in Clairton, where they've just put in a glamorous pool and patio complex. It was a lot of fun. Lucia and Greta played with their small cousins in the pool. Mom was able to come despite having had shoulder surgery on Thursday; Molly was unable to come because Luca was exposed to covid. 

Sunday, August 21

We had big plans for a nice bike ride and lunch, but a huge rainstorm derailed those plans. Instead, Andrew and I went to the Anthropologie outlet and bought a bunch of furniture: six chairs, a lamp, and a rug. In the evening, Greta went to a birthday party, and Lucia and I watched a creepy movie called Old.

Monday, August 22

The girls had dentist appointments in the morning. Then a guy I hired from TaskRabbit came over to hang twelve pictures and three curtain rods. I'm determined to finish off all the small house projects that have been lingering for too long. With the Anthro purchases, the entryway, den, and library are almost complete. Having the Tasker here meant I had to move Greta's bed so he could hang the curtain rod, which meant I finally had to clean up the insane mess Nutmeg has made by sliming underneath the radiator and chewing up all the insulation. It was everywhere. This bun is so, so cute but also an agent of chaos. I blocked the radiator's underside with a line of bricks; hopefully this solves it, but I'm sure Nutmeg will find something new to surprise us with. 

Lucia had her first cross-country practice tonight. 

Tuesday, August 23

We met with two architects this morning to get the ball rolling with our eventual kitchen and family room renovation. It's a long, daunting, expensive project that won't happen till well into the new year, but we're starting to think about it. After that, Lucia and I went to get our nails done (Greta opted not to). Lucia got mushrooms painted on her ring fingers, very cute. 

The rest of the day was kind of an aimless slog, with the girls at loose ends, Lucia forced to do the Spanish reading she's put off all summer, and everyone snippy. Lucia had cross-country tonight and Greta and I went to Target to get her earbuds for school. I can't believe tomorrow is the last day of summer. We're ready and not ready. 





Comments