Friday Bits

Lucia is finally, finally sleeping through the night: 7:30pm to 6am, more or less. Sometimes she gets up at 5:30am and can be coaxed into another hour or so of sleep. But 6am seems to be our new wake-up time. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Yesterday I called the advice nurse because Lucia was spitting up a bit more than usual and I wanted to see if there was anything I should be looking out for; I’d heard a stomach virus was going around. As usual, the nurse asked a long series of questions. But this time I couldn’t help finding them just ridiculous. Among many others, the nurse asked if Lucia had large purple lesions on her skin. Seriously? “Oh, yeah—now that you mention it, my baby IS covered in large purple lesions. I forgot to mention that.” I know they’re just going through their process, but I found this quite funny.

We had a great visit with Rachael this week, and Lucia and Rachael seemed to really hit it off. Rachael also helped me make a new batch of baby food, including pears and mangoes. She also attempted to help me prepare a batch of green peas. I say “attempted” because the peas turned out to be a huge mess. I tried to make some pureed peas with fresh peas from the farmer’s market, but I added far, far too much water. I then tried to add in some frozen peas to thicken the mixture up, only to then realize I wouldn’t be able to refreeze peas that had already been frozen. Peas were all over the floor. Pea mush was everywhere. The end result of it all was one small bowl of pea mush that Lucia was just so-so about for the last three days. I can’t really explain why this turned out to be so messy; what I do know is that peas are one baby food I’ll be buying in a jar.

I suddenly have an onslaught of freelance projects. I'm not really sure how or when they're going to get done. How, exactly, does one raise a baby, work from home, keep the house from falling apart, and pursue one's own personal endeavors when the aforementioned baby naps for a maximum total of 3 hours per day? I really need a sister-wife. Maybe two.

Comments