A Ghost Came Through the Kitchen

Lucia genuinely freaked me out tonight. It was around 4:30pm, dark outside, and she and I were in the living room; Greta had just gone down for a nap in our bedroom. Most of the apartment was dark. Since we play almost exclusively in the living room, by the end of the day we usually have lights on only in the kitchen and living room. I was sitting on the couch, and Lucia was playing with something on the floor. Then, suddenly, she ran into the kitchen, looked around, and said, "Ghost came through the kitchen. Ghost came through the kitchen." She ran back to me and just kept repeating this over and over and over again, staring at me with her saucer eyes. "Ghost came through the kitchen. Ghost came through the kitchen." She said it exactly the same way every single time.

I kept asking her to explain what she meant, or say it a different way, or show me the ghost. At one point she ran to the kitchen doorway and called out to the ghost: "Ghost.....Ghost....Ghost....." I was truly frightened. I didn't know what to do. I kept asking her if she really meant to say "ghost," and she would say yes; but she would also say yes when I asked if what she actually said was "chicken" instead of "kitchen," so I couldn't fully trust her answers. I asked if the ghost was a man, and she said yes. I asked if the ghost was a woman, and she said yes. So I wasn't sure what to think.

Regardless, she just kept saying it. Again and again and again. I wanted to run back and get Greta, but I was afraid; finally I turned on all the lights and went back, finding her sleeping soundly. I hadn't realized that Lucia had followed me back; when I turned around, there she was. "Ghost came through the kitchen."

Fortunately, Andrew came home early tonight. But I had no idea he was going to, so when I heard our door rattling and then opening, I screamed. (Well, a controlled scream, so as not to frighten Lucia.)

The mystery of what Lucia was actually saying, or if there was really a ghost, remains. I've never felt a haunting presence here, but perhaps this winter will bring some supernatural to our lives.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think this is a case for the CCB! Maybe she saw a little mouse! Linda, Laura, Molly and Beth will enjoy this story!
Love Mom