Thursday, August 22, 2013

Guest Post: Days 6-8

August 19 – 21

Marge and Larry have been here since Sunday, which has allowed me to go back to work the past three days, hence the hiatus in posts. That’s no reflection on the activity of the girls, of course, who have kept both grandparents on their toes. In fact, I’m worried that Lucia and Greta are wearing Gra and Pop-Pop out, as Larry and Marge have turned in earlier and earlier each night they have been here! Luckily, I’ll be working from home tomorrow, and then back on full-time solo parenting for Friday and much of Saturday until we head to the airport to pick up Mommy (Whew!!!!).

However, the girls have been thrilled with spending time with their grandparents. I’ve been taking the early train home every day, and I hear the girls laughing and screaming out on the porch from down the block. Additionally, Marge and Larry arrived with tons of food for dinner, so I’ve also been relieved of cooking duties as well. How amazing is that?!

Every morning so far Lucia has gamely offered to “go wake up Gra and Pop-Pop”. They of course have usually been up for a while, but Lucia loves tramping up the stairs to the third floor to see them. Greta and I can then head downstairs and have a bottle of milk on the couch for a bit.  

By the time I’m ready to leave, the girls are ensconced in play with their grandparents and hardly even notice that I’m leaving. Our sitter came on Tuesday, too, allowing Larry and Marge some free time, which, of course, they spent shopping for the girls and me at Home Depot and Whole Foods. Larry and I have a little project for a surprise for Margo that we are trying to pull off before she returns, hence the Home Depot run.

Today there was a slightly different air in the morning with Lucia and Greta. Both girls were up at 6am. I was able to somehow convince both to sleep/stay in bed until 6:20 or so, but still, it was earlier than usual. Sharing was a bit of an issue this morning, and when I was walking home this afternoon, I could hear that it was still an issue. Once I got home, both girls snuggled up to me on the couch on the porch. Both were tired, and Greta looked like she was about to fall asleep. They stuck it out until 7pm with minimal fuss, but were ready for bed.

I've spoken to Margo for about a total of 15 minutes since she left for her conference, evidence both of the intense and constant nature of her program, but also due to the limited cell service in Ripton, VT. 

One exciting bit of news is that Greta has now started using Lucia’s scooter! She’s getting pretty good, and a short video of her toddling around on it on the porch is below.


No comments: