Last Day of Summer: Wed., 9/4

This is it. The last day of summer. The kids finally go back to school tomorrow. It feels like the end--the pool closed over the weekend, there's a feeling of fall in the air, and already the long free days seem distant. We spent the day picking medicine up at the vet's (Farrah's stool sample revealed roundworms and giardia), cleaning the house up for house cleaning tomorrow, making a cake (boxed), and getting the girls' hair cut. I gave them each a graphic novel they've been anxiously waiting for as an end-of-summer gift, and they immediately sat down and read them straight through.

I took Farrah outside one million times and cleaned up two accidents inside. I hand-fed her for one million hours (she is reluctant to eat from her food bowl). I nearly cried one hundred times over how upset I am that our precious puppy is suffering from all these things and can't even fully embrace/explore her new home until we get all this sorted out. I mourned the idea of the kids being gone all day 50% of the time, and counted the seconds till school starts for the other 50%. It's been an up and down kind of day.

I don't like these cusp times. I like when things are underway. I'm a planner, it's what I do, and I don't like the transitions between plans.

Anyhoo. I thought for this last summer post I'd recap a few of my favorite things from our stay-at-home summer:

1. Yarn crafts. Some of our most magical days this summer were when we sat together in the living room, making stuff out of yarn (pom-poms, friendship bracelets, finger knitting) and listening to Taylor Swift. Days like this remind me most of my own childhood summers, and I feel like I got to return to them for the first time, doing these things with the girls.

2. Fox Trot / Calving & Hobbes. Ditto for the long afternoons reading these comic strip books. These were a fun introduction.

3. Tinkerspace. Creating the tinkerspace for the kids was one of my best summer achievements. From the very first moment I showed them how to grind chalk with cheese graters, they were immersed. The fun really lasted all summer, with the favorite elements being chalk, shaving cream, and dish soap. I'll admit that I am, at this point, a little tired of the mess. But I maintained a wide and generous tolerance for the mess all summer long.

4.  Our trips. Of course not all of our summer was spent at home, and we had memorable trips to PA, NH, and Cape May. We loved all our time away.

The days were our own this summer. We had so much fun. It's hard to gear up for what promises to be an insanely busy fall. All the homework, activities, piano practicing, volunteering, lunch making (kill me), dinner cooking (no seriously kill me please). Fall means birthdays and Halloween right off the bat. All of that's ahead. All of that plus a puppy.

See ya, summer. It's been fun. I always vow to continue my daily posts but I also know I probably won't. I'll try to do the best I can.

Comments