Summer: Mon., 9/2 - Tues., 9/3

Farrah's been settling in well. She's started eating a bit more, and each night she's done better in the crate. Last night she slept from 3am till 8am--not bad at all for such a little pup. The bad news is that she has a double ear infection. On Sunday we noticed some yellow discharge in her ear, and she was scratching it a lot; I called the emergency vet office, but they said it was probably okay to wait till our scheduled appointment, which was today. Her appointment was this morning, and the vet took one look at her ears and diagnosed infections in BOTH. Poor little baby. Some of her unwillingness to eat and her seeming uneasiness were possibly linked to pain. Not winning any awards here for Best Dog Mom. I feel terrible. We have medicine now and she should feel better in a day or two. 

So that's how today started: at the vet, with news that our precious pupper is sick. The afternoon was okay; L&G played with some neighbor kids for a little while, at their house and then at ours. A friend and her two daughters came over to meet Farrah. 

The day began getting a little crazy after that, because we had to get to Puppy Kindergarten (a training program) in a nearby town at 6pm. I made an early dinner; Farrah went outside sporadically; we ate; I packed up a bunch of stuff to take with us; Farrah peed on the carpet in the living room; the girls took her outside while I cleaned up; she pooped; I cleaned that up; we got in the car and I realized we didn't have enough gas to get us where we needed to go; we took a detour to get gas and got stuck in traffic; we were nearly to the training center and Greta got a gushing bloody nose in the backseat (this has never happened before), with blood smeared all over her hands and face. She was holding Farrah, so she had to pass the dog to Lucia, and of course I couldn't help with anything because I was driving. We cleaned Greta up when we got there. Horrific. 

Puppy kindergarten was fine, except Farrah is the tiniest dog in the group. There are other nine-week-old puppies but they're quadruple her size. She's a little peanut. The trainer had me keep her on my lap during puppy playtime, when the puppies go off-leash in the room and just run around and play with each other--she said Farrah could join if she showed interest. She didn't. I don't blame her. The puppies were wrestling with each other in a puppy-ish way that my little tiny nugget would not have appreciated. Maybe next week? Or not. I also got scolded by the trainer for giving Farrah a treat when she hadn't perfectly followed my command to sit. SHE HAS A DOUBLE EAR INFECTION AND IS A TINY LITTLE SWEETHEART AND DESERVES EVERY SINGLE TREAT IN THE WORLD, WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND, is what I wanted to say but didn't. 

Anyhoo. My GPS took us an insane way home, and I ended up on two different highways, and the lane suggestions were wrong and insane, and I got angrily honked at by enraged drivers when I had to make a dramatic cut over to my exit. By that point my nerves were beyond fried. Lucia was lamenting how starving she was. Farrah was whining. I was done. D-O-N-E done.

And that's how I feel right now, writing this post. Tomorrow is our last day of summer. It's been spectacular. We had many magical, wonderful, memorable days. I spent pretty much every waking hour with my children without losing my s**t more than once or twice. But it is time for school to start. We need our regularly scheduled programming to resume. And now I'm going to have a glass or three of wine and watch some TV next to my sweet little pup.

Comments