Summer! 6-12-2024

It's summer, which means it's time for daily, or near-daily, posts to Skipping Town. This summer is a little different, because for the first time since the kids were born I don't have my summer days free--I have a full-time job. Just a reminder that last summer, my job search made me so stressed out that I got SHINGLES, which led to a bacterial infection that landed me in the ER. I crocheted so many amigurumi that I alarmed even myself. Memories! And the resolution of all that was that I did get the job I wanted and I now have to work all summer. Yay?

This summer, we are still finding our footing with our days. We were all happy when school finally ended--the name "Maycember" is so accurate, and the last few weeks of school were insane. But we all got through it, went to the girls' moving-up ceremony, and then went to Kennywood. Andrew and I drove separately to accommodate a shifting roster of friends to and from. Then Andrew promptly left for Peru. 

The girls are finding their new summer rhythms. Lucia has committed to a geometry class this summer, and if she passes the assessment in July, she can enter ninth grade in Algebra 2, a year ahead of the typical curriculum. It's a lot of work, but she's been very motivated so far. She does NOT want to be hounded about it--she has said she knows what she has to do and will do it and if we ask her if she's done it this makes her NOT WANT TO DO IT. 

The girls also both have to train this summer to be ready for cross-country in the fall. Lucia went on a long run with a teammate this week, and she and Greta ran together yesterday. I don't feel comfortable with them running alone while I'm at work; they have to go with someone. Still, when I texted them to see how their run went yesterday, Lucia said, "Greta got lost but then I found her so it was ok." Um, okay? Thank goodness they run with phones and were able to connect.

Yesterday, also, when I texted to see how their day was going, Lucia said she was working on geometry and Greta said she was writing secret messages on wet paper, pretending to burn fake flowers, and drumming. 

Then later they went outside to swing and make funny videos. A good day. 

Lucia made herself a summer Bingo card and is planning to reward herself for Bingos. 

The girls and I have done some yard sale-ing alone and with Mom and Dad: Highland Park, Regent's Square, Mexican War Streets, Aspinwall.

We are all eager to leave for New Hampshire next week, which feels like the true launch of summer. 

What We're Reading and Watching:

Margo: Funny Story by Emily Henry

Lucia: Six of Crows

Greta: no idea, all her fantasy novels look and sound the same to me

Andrew: no idea since he's in Peru

Watching: One of Us Is Lying (TV show)






Comments