The Best Costume for Today


Over the past couple of weeks, I've watched both the HBO remake of Grey Gardens and the original 1975 documentary, and I feel just a tiny bit obsessed with Little Edie Beale. After watching the documentary last night, Andrew said it made him want to clean the house; but it kind of made me want to arrange a sweater over my head, secured with a dramatic brooch.

My favorite Little Edie quote is, hands-down, the following, which she delivered on an ordinary morning while explaining her quite extraordinary outfit to the cameraman: "You can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape." You can indeed. Here's her full explanation:



It's just fantastic.

Comments

Laura Ainsley said…
I am also a bit obsessed with Little Edie! If you haven't heard it already, I strongly encourage you to check out the musical version of Grey Gardens, most notably the song "The Revolutionary Costume for Today," performed by Christine Ebersole. It is fabulous. PS: Watching it makes me want to both clean AND make clothing out of household objects.