Summer Days 8/1, 8/2, and 8/3

Monday was a rainy rainy day. Right now, as I write this, it's only Wednesday, but for the life of me I can't remember even one detail about Monday. Not one. Was I even here???

Tuesday started off on an unfortunate note. In search of some packing material, I went down to the basement like I've been doing for the past four years, la la la, just going down to our basement, not even thinking about it, not scared, not even of the scary root cellar, and then, when I turned around to go out of the raw-storage area, I saw A ROACH by the refrigerator. It was the largest roach I've ever seen, and I've seen my share. My reaction was not in my control (see: phobia born of two nights amid roach-covered walls in Juarez, circa 1997). The next thing I knew I was in the kitchen, screaming and sobbing and hyperventilating, not even able to verbalize to Andrew what I'd seen. When I managed to rasp out roach to Andrew, he went downstairs...but found nothing. And had the gall to ask if I was sure I hadn't mistaken a dark spot on the cement floor for a roach. I had not.

That very day, we got our first bid for our basement renovation, which we'd been planning on putting off for six months to a year. Not anymore. I want the basement GONE.

The girls were discomfited by the sight of me, deep in the throes of a phobic reaction, and Lucia comforted me in a way she knew would be a sure-fire success: she dumped out her pony bucket and brought over my three favorite ponies, Florina Tart, Sleeping Applejack, and Hot Beans (our family name for Pepperdance).

The appearance of this roach is badly timed. Throughout my life, roaches have been harbingers of unpleasantness, and this roach appeared on the very day we went to purchase our new car. It signals that we've made an error, a grave error. Nonetheless, we went to the dealership yesterday late afternoon and bought our car and brought it home. A brand new car, our first ever. We are happy, but also worried it was a mistake and that we should have just gotten another used car.

Also, while we were getting our car tutorial at the dealership, L&G were playing peacefully with their ponies near an air shaft, and of course one of the ponies FELL IN THE AIR SHAFT, and Greta was hysterical. Andrew made a valiant decision to jump down and get the pony. Let's just say this was not a great decision. We don't yet really have a resolution for what happened. I'll say only that he did get the pony, but there were consequences. Let me remind you: the roach.

Today, Wednesday, Lucia slept till 9am and we had a quiet morning. Reading, playing outside, running like feral wildcats around the house, making a gigantic mess of ponies and games and Shopkins that covered the entire downstairs. We went to the pool for a little while. I made tortilla pizzas for dinner.

I haven't been to the basement since yesterday morning. Andrew's gone down several times but has not yet found the roach.




Comments

Unknown said…
Great and informative post. thank you for sharing this information with us.
skip online