Summer: Sat., 8/19 - Tues., 8/22

Sat., 8/19

Spent some time today hanging stuff that needed to be hung, and organizing things that needed to be organized. House stuff. Later in the afternoon we all went to the pool. Pesto (with basil from my plant) and grilled chicken for dinner.

Sun., 8/20

I went to yoga, and then a rummage sale. There were no good finds, but I stumbled on a yard sale on my way back and found an amazing cedar chest for $5, exactly the size trunk I've been looking for. It is now the designated spot for all my childhood treasures that I'm slowly excavating from Mom and Dad's attic. I've imbued the trunk and its contents with mystery, telling the girls they can't ever open the trunk without me--but this is mostly because there's no way to keep the lid from crashing down onto their heads if they try to lean in and rustle around. They were captivated by the things I put into it and played with some of them. Meanwhile, Andrew organized the garage, which mostly involved getting our giant stack of firewood and kindling under control. File this under: homeownership, suburbs, adulting.

We went to a neighbor's for a BBQ in the late afternoon, and L&G had fun walking on their slack line. As we walked to their house, Greta asked me if I was wearing a nightgown, even though it was just a regular sundress.

Mon., 8/21

Kind of a tough day for me--I've been fighting some kind of summer cold, and my throat has been really sore for a couple of days, worsening on Monday. It was hard to read to the kids (which we do for so much of each day), and by afternoon my energy was tapped out.

BUT it was eclipse day, so there was some fun to it too. The girls and I made pinhole viewers out of cereal boxes and went outside periodically to check the progress. I kept the NASA live stream on the TV. I also kept the girls inside (except for our periodic viewings) because I was paranoid about them looking up. It was fun to get to see the 70% coverage--maybe we'll journey to totality in 2024.

Tues., 8/22

A friend of Lucia's came over for a playdate in the morning, and L&G had a lot of fun with her. We made puffy slime, and then they played with that, swung on the swings, played a game, and played with Calico Critters. A really good playdate.

L&G played around the house in the afternoon, and then we plus Andrew went to the pool with our giant donuts for Float Nite (a do-over since the last one got rained out). Lots of fun. The pool was full of giant inflatable donuts, clearly the float of choice this summer.

My throat still hurts but feels better than yesterday--hopefully a cold won't materialize.




Comments