Summer: Wed., 8/30

We're leaving Friday morning for NH for the weekend, and school starts next Wednesday, so we did lots of last summer things today. First, we went to the zoo. We ran into friends there, which was fun. Zoo train, hyenas, butterflies, carousel, prairie dogs, sting rays. After lunch, we went to the library for a final round of summer books; I need to find something new to get excited about, now that the Doll People books are finished. Then it was on to the pool for one final swim. We didn't stay long--the water was too cold--but it was really just to have a chance to say goodbye. Next year they'll be even better swimmers, and it will be even more fun. This was the best year yet for sure.

Then I dragged them to Stop N Shop and was suddenly less mournful about summer being over, because I realized that--come next week--I won't have two silly appendages with me as I try to run necessary errands. I can just...hop out to the store. Easy, breezy. Just me and my shopping list. No one to herd and manage. That will be mighty, mighty nice.

We read lots of books together on the couch--I'd pulled out all the picture books about going to school, or that are set in a school. Rediscovering some old favorites.

I let them watch three Elenas tonight while I made Trader Joe's pot stickers and egg roll bowls for dinner--basically the insides of an egg roll, in a bowl. Pretty delicious. But it involved lots of vegetable chopping, hence the extra shows. Greta, contrary to last night's showdown, ate it without complaint. Lucia gave it a more tepid response.


Comments