Summer: Thurs., 8/31

These summer posts are winding down. But it makes me happy to have this record of our days--I should challenge myself to do daily fall blog-journalings as well.

Today was fine, but I'm on edge--the big transition to school is overwhelming, with so many details to get in place, and I begin to fixate on less-than-urgent things that have sent me to Target about four times this week. I'm done. I can't shop anymore. Target and I need a break. I feel this way two times a year: after back-to-school shopping, and after Christmas shopping. Like if I have to go back into that store I'm going to have some kind of suburban meltdown. I'm not sure what that would involve (maybe some overturned bins of unreasonably early Halloween decorations?), but I know it'd be epic.

Lucia had a birthday pool party to go to this afternoon, and she had lots of fun seeing some of her friends. Greta and I went to Target (blech!!!) and then ate cookies and read books. L&G had a calm day at home after the party, just playing and reading books with me. We played Uno. I had them pack their backpacks for our NH trip tomorrow.

And I grew increasingly tired and frustrated as they discovered new and creative ways to make giant messes. That's the downside to the days at home: the messes are just...indescribable. It's not the volume of stuff that comes out--that's alright. It's when L&G begin packing bags with things, resulting in a deranged soup of stones, Shopkins, plastic gems, necklaces, headbands, Num Noms, Splashlings, socks, dress-up clothes, and on and on. Last week, they put all of their socks and tights in their Hello Kitty suitcases, often walking around the house in two or more pairs of socks, or putting socks on their hands or stuffed animals. We still haven't sorted that all out. Today, they put things INTO their socks--stuffed their socks with scraps of material, or scarves, or what have you. It truly pushed me over the edge, and at that point--unstuffing stuff from socks when my energy level had plateaued for the day--I was ready for school to start. It's time.

I took a big step with my photo book project tonight--I ordered four volumes of Snapfish photo books, encompassing 2009 through 2013. I've been working on these for months, slowly, and was able to take advantage of a huge Snapfish sale. Progress. I have three Chatbooks I made for 2014, 2015, and 2016, so my efforts have brought me more or less in line with where I'd hoped to be when I made this resolution.

Comments