Summer: Tues., 6/26

It hit me today how short summer is--it's almost July; and we're away for so many of the coming weeks. It goes by so quickly. So I tried to make the most of today. Both girls slept in--G till 8:30, L till 9:45. I made them chocolate croissants for breakfast, which they ate on the porch while I read more of Harry Potter 2.

Next, we painted rocks and tiny canvases--an annual summer activity. We painted for a very long time.

Then it was lunchtime, and time for the blondies I'd made earlier (from a box). Next, I proposed an outing to Toys R Us, which will be closing forever in two days. I had no idea if they'd have anything left, but I thought we should make a final visit. Obviously, this idea was received enthusiastically. Most of the store was completely empty and blocked off; there were only a couple aisles of remaining inventory, all at 70% off. We managed to find some good things, though: Charm U charms, Little Live Pets turtles, Hamsters in a House hamster set, and Littlest Pet Shop mini pets. L&G each spent their $20 that Mom and Dad had given them for their recital.

They opened everything up when we got home, thrilled with their purchases. Meanwhile, I embarked on another stage of The Worst of Parenting: Plantar's Wart Edition. The medicine the doctor prescribed was unavailable from CVS or Walgreens, or their suppliers. I called the pediatrician, who found a pharmacy in a nearby town that could order it; but it turns out that it's not covered by insurance and costs $400. Just...no. So now I'm on a quest for the perfect OTC remedy. This consumed a large portion of my day today--calling pharmacies, calling the dr., waiting on hold everywhere, having the other pharmacy run the prescription through the insurance, googling around for wart treatments. ENOUGH ALREADY. And we're nowhere nearer to a resolution than before.

At four, we went to the pool. It was a bit on the cool side today, but since we've only been to the pool once so far this summer and are leaving for nine days on Friday and have spent all the money on the membership, I felt like we had to go. And the girls had fun: waterslides, playing with their new turtles, playing with friends they ran into. Meanwhile, I was on the phone with pharmacy #256. Sigh.

Dinner was leftovers I rustled up from the freezer. Score.

It was a great summer day.



Comments