Summer: Mon., 7/30

Blah. The longest day ever. Neither the girls nor I were inspired for any summer fun. They couldn't land on anything, I couldn't get them interested in anything. Good things: we read a lot of Pippi in the South Seas, some of it on the front porch; we practiced bike riding in the driveway, and Lucia is 100% off and running, even able to get started on her own; Lucia and I organized her room a little in preparation for this coming weekend's Ikea trip for a new desk, while Greta worked on a Lego set that's been in her closet for two years; we played Gonuts for Donuts; we went to the Jefferson playground. They didn't want to go to the zoo, library, or pool. There was some bickering, some dead spots in the day. Caramel Judy did a lot of dramatic sobbing about her arm, which has lost a few stitches at the shoulder and which I haven't yet gotten around to sewing up. Pot Belly, also in dire need of some sewing, moped around with his sunk-in face, losing bits of stuffing, occasionally crying hysterically to be sewn. Sigh.

These toys are so real that I don't even think the girls realize they're talking through them anymore.

For part of the day, Greta shouted everything she said in the loudest voice imaginable, finding it hilarious. I have no idea how she got to be the loudest child on earth.

I felt exhausted by bedtime, exhausted from not doing anything, even though I see now from writing this that there were some acceptable moments. Tomorrow I'll do better at giving the day more shape. Zoo! Library! Pool for dinner! Target! Clay! Acrylic paints! Reading and writing!

Maybe we're still recovering from our amazing beach week. I'm off to finish a second glass of wine.


Comments