Summer: Thurs., 7/5

Both girls slept until almost 9:30am today, recovering from their late night of fireworks. Faced with another scorching day, we decided to take another day trip, this time to Lake Winnipesake, continuing our exploration of fun NH activities.

When we got to Meredith, NH, we first had lunch at a cute lakeside restaurant called Town Docks. Andrew and I had delicious lobster rolls. A short drive took us to Leavitt Park, which has a sandy beach, picnic tables, bathrooms, and a roped-off swimming area. It was a perfect afternoon. The lake is beautiful--clear, with a sandy bottom, and waist-deep at the deepest part of the swimming area. We all swam for a while, and when L&G got wrapped up in swimming around with their goggles, hunting for rocks, Andrew and I sat at a picnic table and read. The girls also played a lot with the rafts and pool noodles we'd brought.

We stayed for several hours and had to drag them out of the water when it was time to leave. What a great place. We're two for two with successful outdoor adventures this week. We're always pretty outdoorsy when we're here, but this week we've taken it to a new level.

The drive home seemed very long. We were all feeling the sun and the heat. I made a quick dinner when we got home, which we ate outside, but by then I was feeling so light-headed and ill that I had to lie down while the girls had their dessert. (I hadn't eaten anything since lunchtime and my blood sugar had plummeted, I think. Plus the heat. I drank a lot of water and let my dinner digest and felt much better.) Greta saw a snake by the barn while she and Andrew were playing frisbee.

We finished Pippi Longstocking at bedtime, and they fell asleep quickly. Andrew and I sat by the fire pit. 

These days are going so quickly. We're packing in a lot of fun, for sure, but this week is going much too fast. We're having such an amazing time. L&G love it here so much. I feel like this place will always represent summer for them.

Comments