Summer: Tues., 7/31

Much better day today. Livelier. The girls slept in then got involved with some Legos (of course yesterday I'd just moved Lucia's giant Lego bin to the attic because it hadn't been touched in months). After breakfast, we went to the zoo, which was nice. We saw a new penguin exhibit and visited our favorite animals: lions, giraffes, prairie dogs. They caught birds in the aviary and rode the carousel. I feel like this will be my last year of buying a zoo membership, though. It's a small zoo, and the girls are aging out of it. We need to go twice more to make this year's membership worthwhile; but that might be it. We shall see. I can see Lucia teetering on this heartbreaking precipice of suddenly being aware of things that are too young for her.

We went home for lunch and L&G did some bike-riding practice. Lucia is totally riding now. She can even make the turn around the top of the driveway. Greta got the hang of starting off by herself today too, after mourning that Lucia was better than her. Finally both girls have it. I even got both of them on video. I'm excited to ride with them--I need to get my bike fixed up. I brought it here from PA, but it hasn't been ridden in 20+ years, maybe 25. Maybe more. It's possible I've had this bike since eighth grade. I may just need to get a new bike.

We went to the library later in the afternoon, and then to the pool, where we spent about two and a half hours. We had dinner there, and then came home.

I haven't watched TV in weeks--months?--aside from one or two Rachel Maddows when political chatter has gotten too insane to ignore, so tonight I caught up on a couple episodes of my guilty pleasure, Younger, and drank some rose, while Andrew was at a work dinner.

We finished Pippi in the South Seas, a huge hit. The were playing some kind of game recently where they were pretending to be Pippi and Annika, so it's definitely inspired them. I think The BFG might be our next read-together book.





Comments