A Night in the Jar Closet

Today was a very lazy summer day. The girls slept very late. I edited essays then went grocery shopping. I finally made the girls start their daily Khan Academy math. 

Once all that was done, the kids went down to the basement and began the most exciting part of their jar closet project: decorating. They brought in a rug, lots of Squishmallows, graphic novels, and bean bags. I hung twinkle lights. Lucia printed a bunch of tiny photos of her and Greta, and they hung them all up, as well as a lot of memes and jokes related to Hunger Games and Divergent that they found on Pinterest and printed out. They signed their names on the wall. 

It is, I have to say, a magical space. So magical, in fact, that tonight they decided to SLEEP in the jar closet. They dragged in couch cushions and sleeping bags and pillows. I'm not sure they're actually going to last the whole night, but they're excited to try. I'm really glad they did this project because you know how desperate we are in this house for more living space. (That's a joke. We don't have any need whatsoever for more living space.) But this is THEIR space, THEIR project, and they told me tonight that from here on out I'll have to answer a riddle about a dystopian plotline or character before gaining entry. (They think it's hilarious that neither Andrew nor I can answer even basic questions about their two beloved series.)

In other words, it was a perfect summer day. I don't think either girl stepped outside even for one second except when I made them take Farrah around the block with me tonight, but so be it. Summer free time is absolutely sacrosanct in our family--and my parenting philosophy at this tween/teen stage is that the kids can do pretty much whatever they want all day as long as they're not staring at a screen. They are never at a loss for fun things to do.

Arm update: Not good! The IV arm hurts exactly as much as it has since last week, and now I can feel some swollen little bumps along the vein. I finally Googled my arm pain (I've been afraid to, for fear of seeing pictures of needles), and, through cautious squinted eyes, read about a fun condition that I'm pretty sure is what I have. Not serious, a few potential treatments but mostly just waiting for the issue to subside. I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday morning to get it checked out, just to be safe. I can't straighten my arm, or even really touch it, and I'm just SO DONE with this entire episode.




Comments