Barbie World

Lucia went to see the Barbie movie Friday night with her friends, and Greta and I went to see it on Saturday with some of my friends. The kids were underwhelmed; a lot of the jokes went over their heads. But me? I LOVED IT. I scream-laughed, I sobbed, I experienced a complicated mixture of laughing and sobbing. The ending nearly undid me. It was an overwhelming experience. I can't wait to see it again. I hadn't been to a movie in a movie theater since before Covid, and I'm so glad this was the movie I saw for my first time back. It's definitely a movie that needs to be experienced with a theater full of people. Brilliant. 

Will I be buying a pair of pink Birkenstocks in the near future? Yes. Will I be bringing all of my old Barbies here for a show and tell? Also yes. THANK GOODNESS I never got rid of them. They were waiting for this moment. Pretty in Pink Barbie, Western Barbie, Malibu PJ, Derek from Barbie and the Rockers--I feel such affection for them. 

This movie. I mean, it got to me for all the reasons it got to all the other forty-something women watching and shriek-laughing and crying. But the plot also turns on HOW DOLLS ARE AFFECTED BY THE CHILDREN WHO PLAY WITH THEM, which is a whole other level that speaks to my soul. Barbie!

Anyhoo. After I saw the movie, everyone came back here and stuck around for dinner. I was able to feed dinner to ten people, six adults and four kids, with food from my freezer. A genetic trait, perhaps. Or maybe I was just lucky that I had an overabundance of Mrs. T's pierogies stocked up from a recent sale.

Summer is skipping along. We've been to the pool, the kids muddled through a piano lesson, we've made some nice meals at home. This is our last week at home before Cape May. My last week of freedom EVER! Trying to make the most of these final days of no work. 

Comments