Summer: Fri., 8/31

Last day of August. This time next week, they'll have finished their first two days of school. There's a very this-is-it feeling in the air, and I can tell that the girls are hunkering down, making the most of every second. This morning Greta woke up earlier than usual--7am--and came into bed for some snuggles. She even went back to sleep for a bit with her leg draped over me. Lucia slept till 10am--school mornings are going to be a tough adjustment.

I made Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for breakfast (so delicious, seriously, why don't we have these all the time). We listened to a bunch of Wicked songs in preparation for our Broadway adventure this Sunday (while I read the synopsis from Wikipedia between songs). Then the girls played in their rooms while I organized all the new school clothes we've bought, cleaned the unwearable-for-school stuff out of their drawers, and made a giant bag of outgrown summer clothes. Greta in particular had outgrown 3/4 of her summer clothes.

Then we went to the mall to cross the final things off our shopping list--knee-high black boots for Lucia, and cat-ear headbands for both girls. We also found ridiculous but adorable cat-ear earmuffs--large furry black earmuffs with glittery cat ears on top of the headband part. I couldn't say no.

Greta asked spontaneously if she could get her ear repierced. I promised we'd do it soon. I'm having a slight panic attack about the THIRD ATTEMPT to get this ear pierced. I don't want to have a situation like last time. Trying to reassure myself that that was a fluke (bad luck, as the ENT doctor said) and that the other ear healed just fine.

After lunch at home, we went to the library for one last time redeeming their summer reading hours, and picked out some books. Then the girls spent the rest of the day playing with the Tsum Tsums from last year's Advent calendar. These hadn't come out in a while. L&G were putting the Tsum Tsums into the AG doll shoes as "cars" and driving them around. They were absorbed with these things until dinnertime (random leftovers).

I also heard them saying that they couldn't wait to see what would be in this year's Advent calendar. $%#!@. I set the bar high after the holiday Tsum Tsums last year and now I have to find some other tiny cute thing that comes in 24 different iterations. I'm taking suggestions. But not for another two months.

Greta practiced Chant Arabe a bunch of times tonight without any whining. Molly's shape people have transformed our practicing, and one in particular--Dina Diamond--has proven to be quite effective. Dina, who is cruel and evil, speaks in a slow, menacing western drawl and heckles Greta mercilessly, saying Greta can't play a note of Chant Arabe and she (Dina) is going to just sit there and watch her make mistakes until Greta cries so much there will be puddles on the piano keys. This goes on and on. The other shapes, of course, are kind and supportive and encouraging. Greta and Lucia both find Dina's vitriol hilarious and conspire against her. As I speak for Dina, on and on in this intense and, I will say, realistic western drawl, I (obviously) feel this is one of those times when an outsider, such as the mailman or UPS delivery person, listening in from the porch, would believe with very good reason that I've completely lost my mind.

We're almost done with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, just in time for the end of summer.

Andrew comes back from Singapore tomorrow, with kawaii gifts for the kids (AND, I HOPE, FOR ME).

Comments