Summer: Wed., 8/1

Ugh. All three of us--Lucia, Greta, and I--have low-grade fevers. I should have known. My legs started aching last night, which is always how a fever presents for me (is that the right medical terminology?). The girls were okay in the morning; they slept in till 8:30 and then played with Legos for a couple of hours, while I cleaned out my office. (Our whole house is being overtaken by clutter; I'm tempted to just get rid of everything and move back to the city.) Then we had breakfast, and then went to Target, which was fine. I bought them each a Pik-Mi Push Pop (a blind-bag thing that involves a burst of confetti and a small plush with a powerful, all-consuming scent), because summer.

We read a lot of our new read-aloud, The BFG, and had lunch. Things started to go downhill for Greta at this point, and she didn't want to eat, and was increasingly low-energy for the rest of the afternoon, lying on the couch or oozing along the floor dramatically. She was playing it up, especially when I kept "winding her up" on her arm to get her to do things, but this definitely wasn't characteristic behavior. She ate dinner but then lay down on the kitchen floor, and that was the end of the day.

Our fevers aren't high, so I'm hoping we'll all be better in the morning. I did manage to be productive today: I triaged both girls' school papers, set aside the ones to save (writings, drawings) in bins, and made a giant recycling bag of the rest (worksheets, coloring pages). We're redoing their rooms this weekend (new desks and chairs, a new non-Ikea bed for Greta) and this was a necessary step.

Comments