Summer: Mon., 8/27 - Tues., 8/28

Mon., 8/27

We played Quirkle (me and Lucia) and Blokus (me, Lucia, Greta, and the dolls) in the morning. We went to the pool when it opened and had lunch there. There was some ridiculous squabbling over who would put what on which chairs. (Sigh.) It was a zillion degrees so I swam with them in the middle pool and gave them "challenges" to do--different kinds of handstands, somersaults, etc. The AG dolls accompanied us to the pool and were, yet again, the focus of the day. I made a new recipe--"homemade hamburger helper"--which everyone ate.

Tues., 8/28

Another scorching day. Too hot to play outside. I'd recently found in the attic matching girl-and-doll sundresses I'd gotten over Easter at Gabe's and promptly forgot about during the endless freezing spring; so I gave those to them, which they were thrilled with. Lucia and I played Quirkle. We had lunch. We went to the pool for our last swim of the season--we have plans tomorrow and the rest of the week is supposed to be cool and rainy; and then we go into the city Sunday and Monday, the final day of the pool being open. So we said our goodbyes. The girls were unfazed. I feel like by the end of the summer we're ready to move on, even though it was a great summer of swimming.

Back home, I made pesto and we watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original, with Gene Wilder). It's so very strange. But fun to watch since we read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory earlier in the summer.

Bedtime took TWO HOURS. Two. Hours. We went upstairs at 7pm, and by the time the girls finished their baths, getting into pj's, brushing teeth, doing their dolls' ablutions, reading together, reading independently, saying goodnight, running in and out of the bathroom, and bringing their dolls in to "go to the bathroom," it was 9pm. This is just too much. Too, too, too much. We can't have two-hour bedtimes during the school year.

And then, when they were finally in their beds and settled, and I'd finally gone downstairs and opened my book, the power went out. Not just in our house--in the entire neighborhood. Everything inside and outside was pitch black. The girls started screaming, and I had to run back upstairs with my iPhone flashlight, and then we all went back downstairs so I could find the flashlights. (We'd just bought two giant new flashlights at Rural King when we were in PA--thank goodness.) I gave each girl a flashlight and tried to resettle them. Of course, it was a million degrees in their rooms because the ACs weren't working. After about fifteen minutes, the power went back on. '

In other news, our downstairs freestanding AC no longer works. I think this is a sign that we're ready for fall.




Comments