Summer: Wed., 8/29 - Thurs., 8/30

Wed., 8/29

Another scorching day, but this one was made so much better because we spent the day at Lake Mohawk with friends. One of Lucia's friends' grandparents live there, and we all went out for a few hours in the afternoon. It was a lovely day. We swam in the lake and went out on a boat, journeying across the lake to an ice cream shop on the main street. The kids all had a great time. I'd never been to that part of New Jersey--it was beautiful. I'll get Andrew to start looking at real estate, the logical next step after any good excursion.

We got home around 4pm, and since the house was boiling hot without our downstairs AC, L&G played with Playmobil stuff in the basement, and I brought our heated-up leftovers down there to eat.

Bedtime again took two hours. I'm trying to be zen about it and just accept it as Where We Are Now, and it's really fine since they can sleep in as long as they want in the morning. But still. Whew. It's a lot of bedtime.

Thurs., 8/30

Today was supposed to be cooler but it wasn't. L&G didn't come downstairs until after 11am, so absorbed were they in playing with Shopkins. Then we had lunch and went to Target, where I let them each pick out two small accessory sets for their American Girl dolls: both got a pet rabbit set, Lucia got a sleepover set, and Greta got a night stand set. They were about $6 each--perfect rewards for the school-ish work I've been making them do each day for the past two weeks. Greta's been reading out loud to me each night, and Lucia's been memorizing her multiplication tables. I'm not just being mean, I promise. It's just that they want SO many things, and I really do want to buy them for them, so I feel like having them "earn" a few new things is fair and keeps them from being totally spoiled. (Too late?)

After that, we spent a lot of the day upstairs, in various rooms with AC. We read many many chapters of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe--both girls are really into it, more so than I am, to be honest. It's more plodding and less magical than I remember, but they love it. They played with their dolls and new doll things. They practiced piano. I made dinner. (A one-pan casserole of chicken, rice, carrots, broccoli, and cheese; it was passable.)

Bedtime was a more manageable 1.5 hours. There was less running in and out of the bathroom tonight. Lucia snuck into Greta's room during private reading time, and when I went to Greta's room for lights-out I found them both reading books on Greta's bed--pretty cute.

Comments