Quarantine: Fri. 3/20

Homeschooling and not leaving the house are big changes etc etc etc but TBH? The thing stressing me out the most right now is food. Procuring food. I have filled multiple carts online, from multiple stores, only to be thwarted at checkout with no possible delivery times. I finally managed to complete a purchase from a local grocery store, with a delivery scheduled for Wednesday. The stores here are open, of course, but the lines are long--out the door and around the parking lot at Trader Joe's, people spaced six feet apart, a max of 25 people allowed in the store at any one time. Other stores let everyone in and are therefore much too crowded. So we've been trying to avoid actually going shopping. I don't know if that's going to be sustainable. Besides trying to match up assignments with digital notebooks and different student logins for different sites, I've been focusing on getting food.

I'm pretty sure my mysterious stomach pain is linked to the upheaval in this specific routine. I'm pretty used to staying home all the time and not seeing many people...But not being able to grocery shop normally is a huge inconvenience and a constant source of anxiety. WHINE WHINE WHINE. I know. We're fine. We're food-inconvenienced, which is a hugely different thing than being food-insecure, and believe me, I understand this. We're donating to local orgs etc because we're fully aware how lucky we are. But my goal in this blog is to document how I feel. And being stressed out about grocery shopping is how I feel. 

Today was a pretty easy day of homeschool. They both worked on assignments and typing. Then we did some addition facts flash cards, because--SURPRISE!--neither of my kids can adequately do their addition facts up to ten, something we discovered when Lucia was trying to do math problems. I ask them 6+4=? and they're frowning and counting on their fingers. I'd assumed they were both proficient by now. That *&%$ doesn't fly in homeschool, no way. Not on my watch. So flashcards it is. If both girls can touch type and fly through addition and subtraction facts after all this, that's a WIN. (Low bars for now, to keep us sane. After next week I'll add in Spanish fluency and a comprehensive understanding of global wildlife. Yes, I just discovered that National Geographic is part of Disney+.) 

The rest of today's homeschool: they played outside, read in a tree, rode bikes, ate lunch, doodled with Mo Willems, rode around the block on their bikes with me, had some reading/drawing time in their rooms when they/I began to fray, played Zombie Kidz, and watched Little House on the Prairie season 1 episode 2 (first appearance of Nellie Oleson!).  

One week down.  







Comments

Annie said…
Omg saaaame. Both the grocery anxiety (I'm totally fine staying home, honestly, I just need to be able to get groceries. Matthew tried to take over our PeaPod delivery because it was stressing me out but he just bought a ton of shelf stable milk and gatorade and spaghetti-o's, so I guess I'm still in charge of groceries) AND the surprise "oh my kids don't know what they should?!?" I'm working on Nell's spelling and Josie's multiplication right now, but I guess I should check her addition facts too. Trying to find the silver lining in the homeschooling, at least I'll get them academically tightened up in a way they might not have otherwise...