Quarantine: Sun. 3/15

I went grocery shopping this morning at Stop N' Shop, which was pretty well stocked except for the empty shelves for bread, pasta, paper products, and eggs. I menu planned as usual for this week, and shopped for that plan, so we won't have to tap into our QUARANTINE foods unnecessarily. But today's news just seemed bleaker than ever, so I might not be returning to the store anytime soon. The kids are distraught that we're out of Trader Joe's cookie butter, but we have three jars of Nutella so I'm confident of their survival.

Today was another sunny day, so the kids did lots of playing outside, trying to get out and be normal even though there's such a weird feeling in the air. They rode bikes, climbed a tree by our driveway, read on the stone wall, and--I'm not sure what else. I didn't watch because I was inside scrolling disaster posts on Twitter, a compulsion that has to stop if I'm going to get through the days ahead. There's enough anxiety already.

We talked to some neighbors outside in their yard, keeping a safe distance, which we're still deeming okay for now.

Lots of things are upsetting. France's cafes shutting down. The death toll in Italy. Reports of the first confirmed case in Maplewood. The reports of people still crowding into bars and restaurants in the city. The idea of how many kids are going to be hungry and struggling without the safe haven of their school. Stores in our town are starting to close, and several restaurants have switched to takeout only. Not a total lockdown, yet, though we're treating it that way ourselves and (aside from today's food shopping) committing to just staying home.

Meanwhile, I ordered some Picture Pie-specific art supplies today: rainbow map pins, a second Picture Pie book (so each kid can work on her own chosen images), and rainbow circle stickers, to supplement the cardstock circles we'll cut out with our paper punches. This is how I'm coping: planning art projects and making schedules. The kids are actually excited for homeschooling, which is what I'm trying to encourage. It doesn't have to be a scary time for them.





Comments