Summer: Tues., 7/2

Another perfect NH day. I want to stay here forever. The girls got up around 8am, and after some squabbling over a puzzle I redirected them into some dimensional dot painting on the river rocks we collected yesterday, with puff paints I'd gotten at the last rummage sale. It's always fun to do a little craft project up here. While we were sitting at the kitchen table, we saw five deer grazing in the field across the yard.

Next we headed to the creek, which is one of my favorite spots. We waded upstream a ways (this is the only time my Hunters are anything but an urban fashion statement), and the girls played with the LOL dolls they'd brought. They float, and L&G had fun tossing them into the air in a kind of LOL diving Olympics then watching them float with the current around rocks and over small waterfalls.

We ate lunch outside, and then the girls and I went to the pond while Andrew worked on a wall-painting project (he's been repainting the living room wall by wall for a year now). I floated aimlessly and blissfully in a raft while the girls played. Never tired of swimming, we finished off our afternoon with a dip in William's pool. L&G played their favorite game, making Andrew tip them off a raft, then had some swimming races and practiced diving. They could swim all day.

Andrew grilled steak for dinner, and I made potato salad and roasted some asparagus we'd bought at the farm where we picked strawberries. The girls were in and out of the house while I cooked, eating slices of watermelon. After dinner they made s'mores and played with burning sticks around the fire pit.

And now the kids are in bed, and I'm about to embark on my annual Ma Ingalls evening of making strawberry jam.

Comments