Summer: Tues., 7/23

Rainy, gloomy gloom. But we had a good day at home. I can't even remember what we did this morning. Isn't that insane?

At some point we began making pom-poms. I'd gotten out my pom-pom makers because I wanted to replicate a yarn wall hanging I'd seen at Gabe's, and the girls asked to learn how to make them. They caught on quickly and became obsessed. I'd forgotten how satisfying this little craft is. We made a whole bunch, until around 11, when the toy store in town opened.

We took a break to go into town so they could spend some of their money on Baby Twins (small Mailegs). Greta also chose a Maileg sleeping bag. Then we bought a birthday gift at the local art store, then ran to the UPS store so I could return an Amazon item. The new Amazon return process is so weird: I fill out the return request online, Amazon emails me a QR code, and I drop off my item/s to the UPS store--without packing them up. I just hand them to the clerk, she scans the code, and off I go.

Anyhoo. We returned home, had lunch, and continued to make pom-poms while listening to Taylor Swift. Lucia made a pom-pom bracelet for Carmel Judy. "This is a pretty relaxing way to spend a rainy day," Lucia observed. Indeed.

After a while we took a break for some serious desk/bedroom decluttering, the excavation Lucia started last night. This took a loooong time. I don't know how the girls managed to fit so many papers in their desks, but we ended up with THREE paper grocery bags of recycling. I managed to go through all of Lucia's school papers, too. And now the kids can actually sit at their desks to color, write, whatever.

More pom-poms. Playing with Mailegs in the basement, with the Calico Critter houses. One of the Mailegs dressed as a boy. Dinner. More playing in the basement. Lucia dressed in an all-black outfit and danced dramatically to songs she requested on the Google Home. I hated to interrupt them but I did, so they could practice piano. They are not excited about the music-reading workbooks they're currently doing, and Lucia has forgotten all her songs. Sigh. Then we went up for bedtime.

We started a new book to read together--the third book in The Unintentional Adventures of the Bland Sisters series. We read the other two last summer, and this one is new. The sisters are named Jaundice and Kale. Luckily the girls find this as amusing as I do.

Don't let this idyllic picture of our summer day mask the reality. No, there was no fighting and at no point did I threaten to send the kids to summer camp. But the house pays the toll for all this summer splendor and fun-making. There are yarn bits all over the couch and floor, there are still piles of school papers everywhere, and there's been a load of laundry in the drier since Sunday. I haven't yet brought in the mail, or the newspaper. We've eaten dinner from deep, deep in the freezer two nights in a row. Tonight that included a mysterious container of Red Cabbage Slaw that I guess I cooked at some point in the fall? The mudroom is half-still-packed-up-from-Connellsville, half-getting-packed-up-for-Cape-May. The tinkerspace is an explosion of glitter (as is the mudroom floor).

But we did have a great day of making pom-poms. It really was the best of summer.


Comments