Quarantine: Sun. 5/3 - Mon. 5/4

Sorry for skipping a day. SORRY. Yesterday was just a blah day. A meandering, pointless, useless day of nothing. I feel like I'm fine as long as we're doing something--school assignments or a house project or a game or what have you. But yesterday just got me down. Andrew suggested that I should go exercise and I burst into tears. So he made me a G&T instead and we sat on the porch. We Zoom-called with friends in the evening. What did the kids do all day? They played outside--it was warm and sunny so they jumped in the sprinkler and mixed chalk in the tinkerspace. We ate a random assortment of leftovers for dinner.

Today I made Snickerdoodle bread, we homeschooled, and then the kids played outside. They painted the foundation of the house with a chalk and shaving cream mixture. We made a few Andy Goldsworthy-inspired mandalas (Greta made a cat face out of rocks).

Today we found out--officially--that school won't reopen this school year. Not a surprise at all, but somehow seeing the actual announcement still felt like a blow. I mean, it's fine. It's the right thing to do. Even if school did open up, would I send the kids? No way. So now we just...settle in, I guess. All the what-ifs are overwhelming. The kids reacted differently. Greta was sad because she's afraid she'll never see her teacher again. Lucia seemed shocked at the enormity of it, and is definitely absorbing some of my doom-saying ("We'll NEVER go back to school, will we"), but she didn't seem upset.

And me? I'm basically feeling every feeling at once! This is not a good way to feel! Every emotion is roiling under the surface and no one knows which one will show itself at any given moment! Go ahead, ask me an innocuous question! I dare you!

What We're Reading etc

Margo: How Much of These Hills Is Gold
Andrew:  Berezina: On Three Wheels from Moscow to Paris Chasing Napoleon's Epic Fail [it took me twenty minutes to type the subtitle because I fell asleep]
Greta: School for Good and Evil #3
Lucia: random graphic novels [she's still at loose ends, waiting for School for Good and Evil #6 to be released]
Read aloud: Harry Potter #5
Show: we may start Silicon Valley tonight
Podcast (for walking the dog): Family Secrets












Comments