Quarantine: Thurs. 5/28 - Sun. 5/31

It's been a very full, very momentous few days, and of course--while so much is happening personally--the world is burning in so many ways. But I'm committed to continuing this daily record, even if it doesn't necessarily fit the tone of the current cultural moment.

Thursday 5/28 was a day I'd been working toward for months: the pub day of The Distance from Four Points. My virtual launch was a lot of fun. And neighbors gathered afterward for a socially distanced celebration in the street. Godspeed, book.

And then, on Friday, we closed on the sale of the Soisson House. I couldn't talk about this too much publicly because I was so afraid it would all be derailed. I mean, so many things could have gone wrong, right up to the moment of the closing. I'd notarized documents two weeks ago so the closing could take place without us being there in person; we'd arranged to fulfill the final requirements from the buyer's lender; we negotiated with the insurance company handling the housing for our temporary tenants to get them to move out prior to the end of their lease; and on and on. And then there was a whole story with our parents (both sets--mine and my friend's) trying to locate the St. Joseph they'd buried in the yard so long ago, and then digging him up. But it all worked out. And now the house isn't ours anymore.

TBH I'm exhausted--happy but exhausted. And a little stunned to find myself on the other side of both of these things that I've spent the past few years immersed in. I started working on The Distance from Four Points in 2013. We started our journey with the Soisson House in 2017. Now--those stories are over. What now?? What now, I ask you?


Comments