Quarantine: Tues. 5/19 (NH)

IT LIVES! The snapping turtle lives. I saw it today while alone on the dock, waiting for the kids to bring me a rake so I could retrieve something they'd dropped into the pond. It was quiet and perfectly still. I was lying on my stomach, gazing into the water, when I sensed movement in the reeds to my right. Something was swimming there, too big to be a fish, too smooth to be a frog. As I watched, the head of the snapping turtle broke the surface, and it swam there for a moment before sinking back down into the deep. We hadn't seen it for several years. We likely won't see it again for several more. It emerged today in quarantine greeting.

After schoolwork and lunch, the kids spent most of the afternoon at the pond, catching critters. They lost a flip-flop, a china teacup, and a net into the water, but we managed to retrieve all these things. Later on, Andrew hung hammocks for them in the woods, and they read there for a while. Dinner was leftover BBQ from yesterday, and then we sat around the fire pit. It was a long, full day.

Farrah kept us awake most of last night with some insane scratching, so intense that Andrew and I were convinced she had an ear infection. I planned to take her to a vet this morning, but she ended up falling asleep and by morning she'd stopped scratching. She seemed very quiet today, but livened up in the afternoon with some wild off-leash running around, so who knows. If she has another rough night, I'll call a vet tomorrow.

We're running into some farmhouse fun. A tree in the woods fell on a power line during a storm last week, and Andrew spotted it today; we were afraid it'd shift further and knock out power, so Andrew had to call the electric company. There's always something.







Comments