Quarantine: Tues. 5/5

Homeschool etc. The best part of the morning was our break for some Snickerdoodle Bread, which we ate on the porch sharing a blanket and reading Harry Potter 5. (If I ever homeschool for real, that'll be my entire curriculum.) We had lunch and then I didn't see the kids again all afternoon. Let's see how closely you've been reading this blog: Fill in the blanks: The kids were playing in the _______ with their _______. If your guesses were "basement" and "Legos," you were correct.

As for me...I dealt with some real estate matters that I can't talk about yet for fear of all manner of jinxing, wrote and sent a newsletter to my email list (are you on it? no? you can sign up at the bottom of my website), and ordered four new books.

We wanted Mexican food for dinner along with everyone else in town, and it took a while to find a place that would take our order, and then when Andrew walked down to pick up our order he waited for over an hour with a crowd of surly Uber Eats drivers who'd also been waiting forever. It was a whole thing. I feel for these restaurants. They're doing their best. It's all such a mess. I just don't want them all to close. The bright sides are: a) Andrew took Farrah with him and she was a perfectly behaved doodle the whole time; and b) our food, when we eventually got it, was delicious.

L&G had their Lego Friends figures with them at the table and were just immersed in a very very immersive imaginative game. The figures were standing on the edge of the tortilla chip bowl, discussing very detailed histories and plans, and then spontaneously erupting into a kind of group dance when they found out Andrew's meal was called a "chimichanga." That was what made me finally lose it. Nothing annoys Andrew more than when I laugh hysterically with the children.

What Andrew's Reading:

I promised a friend that I'd provide a list of the books on Andrew's bedside table. Here they are. Grab an espresso or three:

  • Lincoln's Boys: John Hay, John Nicolay, and the War for Lincoln's Image
  • When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation, 1940-1944
  • These Truths: A History of the United States
And the very best one IMHO...

  • Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life, and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt

I could find countless more of these on our bookshelves. This is just a sampling, the books at hand. Stay tuned for another What Andrew's Reading feature sometime soon.







Comments

Elizabeth said…
Seeing so many posts about cinco de Mayo food is making me hungry! :)
Laura Ainsley said…
Absolutely adoring the "What Andrew's reading" posts (and everyone else)! A highlight of my day for sure.
Marion Goold said…
Probably shouldn't say this BUT, "Mornings on Hb" is a wonderful book & Andrew's other titles interest me. It's a fiction v non-fiction preference, I guess.